Welcome to First Church! We are a progressive congregation of the United Church of Christ, and we greet you with open hearts. To find out what’s going on, read our weekly newsletter. You can sign up here to receive it by email.
Watch our worship services here. We create a special shortened version for local television and Youtube each week. Or we hope to see you in person at our 10am services!
Friday, March 31: noon at the Pancake House. Retirees Luncheon. Let the church office know you’re coming.
Holy Week services and activities
- Palm Sunday, April 2 at 9:30am Walk and Prayer with Ballmarker the Pony to honor Jesus’ journey into Jerusalem. Meet at the County Rd. entrance of the Riverwalk, across from Ascension Memorial Church. Procession ends at the church for 10am service.
- Palm Sunday at 11:15am–12:15pm Talking about the Cross. A discussion for parents of young children, helping them face towards Holy Week. Children’s gathering at the same time for games, folding of palm crosses, and art.
- Maundy Thursday, April 6 at 5pm Family-friendly service including Communion and foot or hand washing, with soup supper following–potluck salads and desserts.
- Good Friday, April 7 at 12 noon Reading of the Passion Story. Led by Tom and Lynn Lenhart.
- Good Friday at 4pm Stations of the Cross. This service is geared to families. Led by Rev. Rebecca and Stacey.
- Good Friday at 7pm Tenebrae (‘Darkness’) service. Join in the beauty of this somber day as we read the seven last words of Christ, share music and prayers and dance.
- Easter, April 9 at 6:00am Sunrise Service Greet the 6:12 sunrise on the lawn of the Crane Estate. Nathan Samayo preaches, and youth sing, play instruments, dance, and read scripture. Followed by breakfast at church.
- Easter at 10am Service. Gather as we ‘Flower the Cross’ and celebrate the Risen Christ! Easter egg hunt follows the service, on the church lawn.
Sunday, April 16, 11:15am-12:15pm The Three Mothers: the surprising work and lives of the mothers of MLK, James Baldwin and Malcolm X. In Part 2 of this discussion, we’ll talk about Alberta Williams King, mother of MLK, Jr. No preparation needed. You can preview the podcast here, if you’d like.
Live music every month
Along the Way Coffeehouse offers live music once a month, on Saturdays. Doors open at 7pm. Tickets at $10 at the door. 12 Meetinghouse Green, Ipswich (across from the church). Sponsored by First Church. Read more about Along the Way and connect with us on our Facebook page.
Violins and Blessings at Riverbend
We offer a time of spiritual and musical nourishment at the Residence at Riverbend, on the first and fourth Thursdays of each month at 2pm. Called “Violins and Blessings,” it’s a half-hour of music, scripture, and prayer from Rev. Rebecca, Diane, and other musicians. Invite your loved ones at Riverbend to join, and come sit with them.