A coastal, open and affirming UCC community church.
Treasure – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on January 27, 2019
1. The notes on the ship Ada K. Damon, built in 1875 in Essex and wrecked in 1909 in Ipswich, come first from Gordon Harris’ excellent article “The Wreck of the Ada K.Damon” on the Historic Ipswich website. The wind measured 72 miles per hour on the night of the terrible storm. 2. The notes about coal replacing the wind-filled sail, to the wreck of the ship, come from Dan MacAlpine’s “Ipswich Wreck: An Information Treasure Trove”, in the “Ipswich Chronicle”, July 22, 2015. 3. The song comes through the Folk Tradition, taught by Audi Souza at the funeral of Bob Pigeon, originally from the poem “Crossing the Bar”, by Alfred Lord Tennyson
Found! – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on January 20, 2019
1. The Hebrew word for parable is the same word as for riddle: in Roman letters it is Mashal.
2. Krister Stendahl writes of this economy of extravagance in Roots of Violence, in his chapter on Salvation as Victory.
3. Tara Westover’s lovely new book Educated gives a vivid description of her search for safety and comfort.
4. “And We Like Sheep” is from Handel’s Messiah, and Handel loved the word painting in which the voices wander, lost, all over the hillside even as the sheep did.
Being present – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on July 29, 2018
1. Bill Powers: New Slow City (2014): Novato, California: New World Library.
2. Richard Rohr: Father Richard’s Daily Meditations. Tuesday, July 24, Real Presence. Https://cac.org.
3. All About Birds.org. The Piping Plover has 8,400 breeding individuals. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
Sin – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on July 22, 2018
Youth Sunday – a sermon led by our Youth Voices
Families – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on June 24, 2018
Strong Souls – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on June 17, 2018
Power – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on June 3, 2018
Suffering – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on May 27, 2018
Notes from Standing Rock – led by Ali McCormack
Up – a sermon about renewal led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on March 11, 2018
The Work goes on – An Easter Sermon, led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on April 1, 2018
Unity – led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on April 8, 2018
Damascus -God takes our bad habits, led by Rev. Dr. Rebecca Pugh on April 29, 2018
Fences and Walls:
Scripture, from John’s gospel, in the bulletin
“He left Judea and started back to Gallee, but he had to go through Samaria…” -John 4:3
“He was in the wilderness 40 days, tempted by Satan, and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.” Mark 2: 12-13